Thursday 12 January 2012

Introducing Zena, the Hearing Dog

I would like to introduce you to my ears, Zena, a Hearing Dog for the Deaf who accompanies me everywhere and is trained to hear and respond to the sounds that I no longer hear. Zena is a flat-coat/golden retriever cross and will be 5 on the 24th of this month. I get a lot of questions about Zena when we are out and about, but if you are interested, take a quick look at the charity's website: http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/   Most people have heard of Guide Dogs for the Blind, but Hearing Dogs do an amazing job of helping those who are Deaf/deaf. Loss of hearing affects 1 in 7 of the population and is sometimes called the invisible disability. I use the word disability with caution as I fully embrace the social model of disability and I am trained to use British Sign Language to level 2, a beautiful, animated language and one of Britain's 4 languages recognised by law.

   Oh dear, I have just been told off by my animal friends for not introducing Zena's best friend, Gomez the cat.... so here is Gomez the wonder cat!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting - I do enjoy reading them xx